Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Interesting

Today was my third practice day for the FLW on Pickwick Lake in north Alabama. Aside from very hot temperatures and less than stellar fishing, I found something very interesting today:


A giant cactus of some kind growing out of a rock bluff above the high water line. I didn't even realize they grew wild as far north as the Tennessee/Alabama line. I took close up as well hoping someone could identify it and tell me if it is rare in these parts.


I know I'm supposed to be concentrating on fishing, but things like this spark my interest on an otherwise slow day!

3 comments:

  1. Cool looking cactus joe! Good luck in the tourney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Appears to be the
    Opuntia humifusa Prickly Pear Cactus
    (op-UN-shee-uh) (hew-mih-FEW-Suh)

    Hope it helps!!
    Mrs TheAlabamarig Poss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, in middle Tennessee, we call those "prickly pears". They grow in the roughest places like on flat rocks where nothing else will grow. They have super fine needles that will get into your hands and feet.

    Wishing you the best at Pickwick!!

    -Duane Harper, Lebanon TN

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...